Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development was started in 1956 as the “School of Agriculture” functioning under the Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya Rural Institute with the initial financial assistance from the National Council for Rural Higher Education, Ministry of Education, Government of India. Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya Rural Institute School of Agriculture was affiliated to the State Government in 1977 to be under the control of the Director of Agriculture in view of its factual services in providing training for farmers’ children for self-employment and for employment in Government sectors, private and cooperative sugar factories, pesticides & fertilizers companies, banks, cooperative societies, extension services, etc.
Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya School of Agriculture was affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore in the year 1983 offering a 2-year Diploma in Agriculture in the Sri Ramakrishna Vidyalaya Institute, as Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development. This Institute is admitting 60 students every year. Most of the students are farmers’ children hailing from rural areas.